Re: [alpine-devel] Can Alpine be built with glibc and mdev?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:16:20 +0200

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 23:24:14 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org> wrote:

> No, I'm not proposing a fork of Alpine. There are a bunch of
> unhappy people on the Gentoo-Users list, over the fact that the lead
> developer for udev wants to put a whole bunch of userspace stuff into
> the boot process, which forces either merging /usr into the /
> physical volume, or else booting with initramfs, which is more stuff
> to go wrong, and very painful to debug when it does go wrong. The
> udev lead developer is a Redhat employee. The attitude is summarized
> very well at...
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken?highlight=%28%5C/usr%29
> where the poster says, and I quote...
>
> > On my fresh Fedora 15 install that's 23 obvious cases.
>
> Just because he uses big bloated Redhat doesn't mean everybody else
> wants to.
>
> I understand that standard Alpine uses uclibc, which breaks
> proprietary stuff like Nvidia video drivers and Flash, and who knows
> what else. Like I said, I'm not looking to fork Alpine, but I wonder
> if it can be used as a template for Gentoo with mdev instead of
> udev.

It is possible to build alpine with glibc/eglibc and I dont think that
would be too hard to do. We do not have the manpower to maintain both
eglibc and uclibc atm.

Alpine Linux and Gentoo have openrc in common so you could probably just
use the Alpine Linux's mdev scripts.

I would say that the main problem you have with a non-udev gentoo is
that xorg and much desktop stuff depends on libudev to work properly,
so an Alpine Linux desktop uses udev as well.

> I am not a programmer, but I can...
>
> ./configure --with-various-options && make && install
>
> Using Gentoo, I've become familiar with "make menuconfig", so I'm
> willing to take a crack at it. If it's promising, I'll submit it to
> the Gentoo dev list as a potential way around the udev mess.

I don't really see how Alpine Linux would help you around the udev
mess.