Re: [alpine-devel] Can Alpine be built with glibc and mdev?

From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 10:08:43 +0200

Hey,

tell the guy my greetings.
I always wondered why the "legacy" commercial unixes do multithreaded
backgrounded device init, and (some!) Linux devs actually think it's a
smart thing to fork a few hundred or thousand shell
scripts to identify system hardware.

2011/10/3 Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org>:
>  No, I'm not proposing a fork of Alpine.  There are a bunch of unhappy
> people on the Gentoo-Users list, over the fact that the lead developer
> for udev wants to put a whole bunch of userspace stuff into the boot
> process, which forces either merging /usr into the / physical volume, or
> else booting with initramfs, which is more stuff to go wrong, and very
> painful to debug when it does go wrong.  The udev lead developer is a
> Redhat employee.  The attitude is summarized very well at...
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken?highlight=%28%5C/usr%29
> where the poster says, and I quote...
>
>> On my fresh Fedora 15 install that's 23 obvious cases.
>
>  Just because he uses big bloated Redhat doesn't mean everybody else
> wants to.

As to Gentoo, maybe you just need someone else for the job, instead of
a new distro.

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and