Re: [alpine-devel] Can Alpine be built with glibc and mdev?

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 22:11:32 -0400

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 08:16:20AM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote

> I would say that the main problem you have with a non-udev gentoo is
> that xorg and much desktop stuff depends on libudev to work properly,
> so an Alpine Linux desktop uses udev as well.

  What's wrong with xorg.conf? And as for "desktops", are you referring
to garbage like KDE-Mail which requires an SQL database? I'm neutral re
KDE and GNOME... the pox on both their houses. I don't run desktops, I
run applications. ICEWM is more than sufficient.

  If somebody wants to load up their machine with a bunch of stuff that
requires initramfs, or a /usr on the same physical drive as /, no
problem for me. However, if the lead developer for a necessary linux
subsystem tweaks it so that it *DEMANDS* either /initramfs or a sinle
huge C:\ drive *FOR ALL USERS OF ALL DISTROS*, I get unhappy. That's
why I'm looking for solutions that avoid this.

  Reading the Alpine wiki, I see that "(previous versions of Alpine were
based on Gentoo)". It would be ironic if I could convince the Gentoo
devs to base the next version of Gentoo on Alpine.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org>