Re: [alpine-devel] New package idea

From: Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 23:35:07 -0400

On 10/8/2011 9:43 PM, Ted Trask wrote:
> I'll put it this way, I haven't see anything that says we can't. The
> bootloader / firmware is quite useless unless you've purchased a device.
That's about what I see as well.
http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/setup_maintenance/products/voice/UC_Software_Admin_Guide_v4_0_0.pdf
is the closest I found to something containing a yes/no to distributing
it (and since I'm terrible at interpretting legalese, I just include it
here). See that as long as we have that copyright notice in the package
somewhere, we'd be ok.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
copy of this software and associated
documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without
restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons
to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following
conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
in all copies or substantial portions of the
Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
OR IMPLIED,
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT
HOLDERS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
OF CONTRACT, TORT
OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR
THE USE OR
OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE

Jeff