Re: [alpine-devel] lang subpackages

From: Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy_at_thomersonfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 21:58:21 -0400

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So I have implemented a new "special" subpackage in abuild: -lang
>
> This will copy /usr/share/locale into a $pkgname-lang subpackage.
>
> I have also created a "lang" meta package which will pull in the
> translation packages and I have splitted out the translations for a
> handful packages. I started with the ones who had the
> biggest /usr/share/locale dirs.
>
> This can save some megs if you don't use the translations:
>
> alpine-netbook:~/src$ sudo apk del -i lang
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> lang glade3-lang gnome-disk-utility-lang glib-lang gvfs-lang
> iso-codes-lang
> xfce-utils-lang gimp-lang xfce4-settings-lang thunar-lang gtk+2.0-lang
> lxdm-lang xfce4-panel-lang xfwm4-lang inkscape-lang shotwell-lang
> pidgin-lang gconf-lang gnumeric-lang gigolo-lang
> After this operation, 157896 kB of disk space will be freed.
>
> I'm saving 158MB on my lappy. not bad...

Should we try to create a per-lang package instead of one lang package that
has all languages? I think we discussed this a while back and IIRC we opted
not to because of the bloat it might cause ($packages x $languages =
$lotsOfLittlePackages). Was that the only reason, or is there another?

It would be nice to "apk add lang-en lang-es" and just get the languages we
needed.

Jeremy Thomerson