[alpine-devel] build server messaging

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:59:40 +0100

Hi,

Our current messaging between git server and buildservers goes via
public IRC and has not been 100% reliable.

So I have been looking at replacing it with a zeromq[1] based infra.

The idea is that we have a buildmsg-server that listens on 2 ports, one
for subscribers and one for git push notifications.

The buildmsg-send is executed from git hook when something is pushed.
buildmsg-send will connect to the buildmsg-server socket and simply
pass over the git branch (i.e "master" or "2.3-stable").
buildmsg-server will forward this to all subscribers.

The building servers will run buildmsg-subscriber's which connects to
buildmsg-server and subscribes to a "branch". Whenever a message
arrives it starts building.

With zeromq and lua this is all very simple. I have pushed example code
to http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/autobuilder/

(I added some deamonization code for buildmsg-server but i think that
maybe its better if start-stop-daemon handles that together with
pidfile creation and stdin/out/err redirection etc)

Feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

-nc

[1] http://www.zeromq.org/