Re: [alpine-devel] build server messaging

From: Jesse Young <jlyo_at_jlyo.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:10:18 -0600

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:59:40 +0100
Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our current messaging between git server and buildservers goes via
> public IRC and has not been 100% reliable.
>
> So I have been looking at replacing it with a zeromq[1] based infra.
>
> The idea is that we have a buildmsg-server that listens on 2 ports,
> one for subscribers and one for git push notifications.

I'm not familiar with the build system, and only minimally familiar with
zmq, so ignore me if I'm totally off base.

The way I understand how zmq subscription sockets work is that
clients will miss notifications if they get disconnected for whatever
reason. So a mechanisim should be in place to replay notifications
that the client may have missed. Maybe this is the non-reliability
you're experiencing with IRC as well?

Jesse