Re: [alpine-devel] advice for virtualization on desktop

From: Cameron Banta <cbanta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:53:37 -0600

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 00:55, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> So I am asking for advice.
>
> I think I have the following alternatives:
>
> Switch to Xen.
>
> Use libvirtd.
>
> Make virtualbox work.
>
> I highly recommend virtualbox.

I've used it for some time, and I find it very easy to use and set up. I
run a window xp guest regularly, several alpine guests, and occasionally
ubuntu/debian/fedora boxes. It's easy to change MAC address, and set up
virtualbox only networks. I personally like the gui for it, but you can do
everything and more from the VBoxManage command line.

I've tried xen, qemu-kvm, and libvirt, and didn't get very far. None of
them were as easy to use as virtualbox, so I gave up and went back to it.

Virtual box needs some work to get compiled but might be nice to have
> anyways. Virtualbox also has (had?) some closedsource code for some
> features. Those will not be available on Alpine.
>
> I do have the closed source bits installed on my non-alpine host, however
I don't really use them. (USB passthrough, RDP video)

Just my thoughts on it.
Cameron