Re: [alpine-devel] What can we remove from our kernel?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:58:07 +0100

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:05:55 +0000
Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:03:39 +0100
> Natanael Copa wrote:
>
> > I am struggling with keeping
> > up with all the new stuff.
>
> Would the new LTS 3.0.x be easier or would it miss out required
> drivers?

Ideally we should do both and have a linux-lts-grsec kernel and a
linux-grsec kernel. I don't have resources for that currently.

I think we want the new stuff in new kernels.

> I guess as you have RSBAC then you could drop RBAC, though RBAC is
> easier to configure.
>
> I wish there was a lean and secure Kernel or even Kernel config but
> then I gues it wouldn't be Linux.
>
> More code = more bugs

Exactly. So it would be nice with some ideas what we can do to fight
the kernel bloat.

> I just hope the build doesn't break on you. I tried tailoring it to my
> machines and disabled wireless/bluetooth and knocked 10 meg off the
> size but setting the cpu type and a couple of other things broke the
> build. (2.6.32.49 LTS)
>
> Is bluetooth required?

This is exactly the kind of question I want help to come up with.

I use bluetooth on my laptop.

Maybe we could have a linux-grsec-bluetooth subpackage with the
bluetooth stuff? How do we create such a subpackage? Can we split by a
dir? There are 2 directories named bluetooth:

$ du -sh drivers/bluetooth net/bluetooth/
172.0K drivers/bluetooth
316.0K net/bluetooth

Is that worth a subpackage? probably not.

$ du -sh net/wireless/ drivers/net/wireless/
220.0K net/wireless/
5.0M drivers/net/wireless/

This might be worth a subpackage and we could probably stuff in
bluetooth in there as well.

Thanks!