Re: [alpine-devel] Questions about doing a glibc-based build

From: Dubiousjim <lists+alpine-devel_at_jimpryor.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:20:53 -0400

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 05:10 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> This is for experimentation on my part. Right now, I'm running Gentoo
> and have substituted mdev for udev. For now it looks like Gentoo will
> continue to support both openrc and systemd for startup/init. If it
> goes to systemd-only, then udev becomes mandatory. I don't want to get
> into the /usr on / flamewar here. Let's just say I want a Plan B in the
> event that Gentoo gets dragged into systemd-only mode down the road.
>
> I'm not a developer or a C programmer. However, as a Gentoo user, I'm
> familiar with "make menuconfig" and building the kernel. Is there a way
> for me to get ahold of the Alpine source code, including kernel, and
> drop in glibc in place of uclibc?
>
> I'd probably have to rebuild everything, because it's been linked to
> uclibc. I understand that uclibc has a different internal api from
> glibc, which would kill stuff like Flash and proprietary video card
> drivers.

Hi Walter, I've not attempted this. In fact, I've just started using
Alpine myself. However, I have been spending a lot of time in the wiki
recently, doing some cleanup there as a way to learn how this distro is
organized.

So I know that there is this page:
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Running_glibc_programs

Perhaps that's a good place to start.