Re: [alpine-devel] Questions about doing a glibc-based build

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:57:16 +0200

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:10:42 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org> wrote:

> This is for experimentation on my part. Right now, I'm running
> Gentoo and have substituted mdev for udev. For now it looks like
> Gentoo will continue to support both openrc and systemd for
> startup/init. If it goes to systemd-only, then udev becomes
> mandatory. I don't want to get into the /usr on / flamewar here.
> Let's just say I want a Plan B in the event that Gentoo gets dragged
> into systemd-only mode down the road.
>
> I'm not a developer or a C programmer. However, as a Gentoo user,
> I'm familiar with "make menuconfig" and building the kernel. Is
> there a way for me to get ahold of the Alpine source code, including
> kernel, and drop in glibc in place of uclibc?
>
> I'd probably have to rebuild everything, because it's been linked to
> uclibc. I understand that uclibc has a different internal api from
> glibc, which would kill stuff like Flash and proprietary video card
> drivers.

You'd not only need rebuild everything, you'd need bootstrap the
toolchain and the bootstrap abuild. I would reuse a gentoo stage to
bootstrap abuild.

The process is possible but not really documented. I do have tried to
keep the number of required dependencies down for abuild but that has
not been easy.

There have been others talking about making an eglibc alpine linux
branch.