Re: [alpine-devel] Questions about doing a glibc-based build

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:53:49 -0400

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 05:20:53PM -0400, Dubiousjim wrote

> Hi Walter, I've not attempted this. In fact, I've just started using
> Alpine myself. However, I have been spending a lot of time in the wiki
> recently, doing some cleanup there as a way to learn how this distro is
> organized.
>
> So I know that there is this page:
> http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Running_glibc_programs
>
> Perhaps that's a good place to start.

  That's not quite what I'm looking for. I don't want a glibc chroot
inside of a uclibc Alpine. I'd like to rebuild Alpine with glibc
replacing uclibc. That would probably mean going to the git sources,
making my own modified copy and building from there. Since I'm not a
programmer, let alone a developer, that's going to be rather difficult.

  Alpine looks like it could be a functional, lightweight, mdev-based,
end-user distro if only glibc could be dropped in in place of uclibc.

  I have one more question. Is Alpine source-based or binary?
According to
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Comparison_with_Gentoo_and_Debian

> Note that Gentoo is source based, just like ports in FreeBSD is while
> Debian uses pre-compiled binaries. Alpine is compiled using Gentoo
> portage but Alpine itself uses its own apk-tools binary package that
> are more similar FreeBSD's binary packages.

  That's rather vague, and I'd like an English translation <G>.

  I have looked at LFS (Linux From Scratch) but they're already at
udev-181.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org>