Re: [alpine-devel] Questions about doing a glibc-based build

From: Dubiousjim <lists+alpine-devel_at_jimpryor.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:36:10 -0400

> Alpine looks like it could be a functional, lightweight, mdev-based,
> end-user distro if only glibc could be dropped in in place of uclibc.
>
> I have one more question. Is Alpine source-based or binary?
> According to
> http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Comparison_with_Gentoo_and_Debian
>
> > Note that Gentoo is source based, just like ports in FreeBSD is while
> > Debian uses pre-compiled binaries. Alpine is compiled using Gentoo
> > portage but Alpine itself uses its own apk-tools binary package that
> > are more similar FreeBSD's binary packages.
>
> That's rather vague, and I'd like an English translation <G>.

It's also out-of-date. Alpine used to be build in a Gentoo build
environment, but nowadays that's no longer done; Alpine is built in an
Alpine environment.

The source-based/binary-based contrast isn't so sharply applicable here.
I haven't used Gentoo but my understanding is that it's a source-based
distro in the classic sense. Alpine is more of a hybrid, like Arch and
FreeBSD are: binary packages are available, but it's also very easy to
build one or all packages from source. The package tree is kept in git;
so you can keep your personal modifications in local branches. Building
from source and dealing with git aren't necessary; if you want, you can
just stick to the pre-built binary packages.

I used Arch and FreeBSD for a long time but was hankering after a distro
with just Alpine characteristics. But if you're set on glibc, it sounds
to me like you might have an easier time getting Arch to work the way
you want.