Re: [alpine-devel] APK version formats

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:46:41 +0300

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:15:19 -0400 Kiyoshi Aman <kiyoshi.aman_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2012/4/6 Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>:
> > So the question is with 1.2.3_01 versions if it's more trouble to
> > mangle them (to 1.2.3.01; 1.2.3_p01; or similar) without causing too
> > much trouble. Or if we should just accept 1.2.3_01 as-is. At least
> > it would not cause any problems to sort them properly.
>
> Personally, I think that manually mangling version numbers is
> inappropriate. In addition to the above proposal, I'd also like to
> recommend that apk-tools itself mangle oddball version numbers so the
> APKBUILD can always contain the true and correct version number.

No. Currently apk-tools needs to be able to compare two version
numbers, and make a rational choice which one is better. Just blindly
mangling something makes this break.

Alternative is that we change version to be just a 'display version';
and keep the apk-tools version separate thing. I believe it was earlier
suggested that we could just use the package source repository and
build timestamp to decide which package is the preferred one. In this
case we could just dump whatever garbage in the version field, ignore
it, and figure out the preferred package from better fields.