Re: [alpine-devel] APK version formats

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:34:44 +0200

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:46:41 +0300
Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi> wrote:

> Alternative is that we change version to be just a 'display version';
> and keep the apk-tools version separate thing. I believe it was
> earlier suggested that we could just use the package source
> repository and build timestamp to decide which package is the
> preferred one. In this case we could just dump whatever garbage in
> the version field, ignore it, and figure out the preferred package
> from better fields.

I have mixed feelings about this. It would be nice to have git hashes
as the version string, but I think that things will end up
unpredictable for end users.

User has both main and testing in repositories. The main has stable
foo-1.0.2 and testing has next, foo-2.0_beta1. The user has "testing"
in his repos because he wants the latest to test things early, even if
it breaks things once in a while. So he has foo-2.0_beta1 installed.

So comes a new bugfix release, foo-1.0.3 in main. What will the user
expect to happen? What will happen if we use build timestamp?