Re: [alpine-devel] [announce] Sonnet GNU/Linux (somewhat derivative of Alpine)

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 00:47:32 +0000

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:16:21 +0000
> William Pitcock wrote:
>
>> A simple website containing information about the distribution can be
>> found here:
>>
>> http://sonnet.dereferenced.org/
>
> Any plans for a grsecurity/pax enabled kernel?
>
> I jumped to arch for desktops basically for glibc/flash (sandboxed in a
> hardly used firefox) and am quite happy. I'll certainly keep an eye on
> it though.

I forgot to answer this question, because I got caught up in the other
conversation.

Yes -- we plan on retaining support for grsecurity/pax kernels, but
they will kind of be considered for use by people who know the
implications of their kernel choice. Meaning that they won't be
necessarily a configuration that is recommended for use by most users
as PAX can introduce problems for desktop users.

I still feel that OpenBSD-style W^X is sufficient though, and could
probably be upstreamed fairly easily.

William