Re: [alpine-devel] [announce] Sonnet GNU/Linux (somewhat derivative of Alpine)

From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:05:00 +0100

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 00:47:32 +0000
William Pitcock wrote:

> Yes -- we plan on retaining support for grsecurity/pax kernels, but
> they will kind of be considered for use by people who know the
> implications of their kernel choice. Meaning that they won't be
> necessarily a configuration that is recommended for use by most users
> as PAX can introduce problems for desktop users.
>
> I still feel that OpenBSD-style W^X is sufficient though, and could
> probably be upstreamed fairly easily.

Your singing to me now :-). That's fair enough, I think a lot of the
parts of grsecurity/PAX could happily live upstream too, but I think
anyone would have a job and a half getting them in.

OpenBSD is my favourite OS. Unfortunately as I don't maintain a huge
number of machines, keeping the OpenBSD desktops updated wasn't really
the best use of my time and the lag (though small) for updates to
firefox and firefox using it's own malloc etc., kinda sealed the deal
for me.

I've heard some say arch linux is the new contender beating slackware
as the linux with the most bsdisms. Maybe there's now one more
contender for that spot? Of course with linux being the kernel, that
doesn't make any sense as a sentence ;-).