Re: [alpine-devel] Questions about apk CMD -U

From: Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 22:02:18 +0200

----- Original message -----
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 08:43:43PM +0200, Timo Teras wrote:
> > the -U flag always does the one and same thing. It executes
> > "apk update"
> > before running the real command.

> > commit 59d222d - upgrade: perform upgrade of apk-tools first if
> > available is dated Sat Jan 1 15:48:10 2011 +0200 which is first
> > included in apk-tools version 2.1.0.
> >
> > So the feature was first present in Alpine Linux 2.3.0_rc1.
> >
> > If you are updating the apk-tools wiki page, please describe the
> > package "pinning" syntax too. This is the "apk add foo_at_edge" style
> > syntax.
>
> Thanks Timo, this enabled me to fix some confusing/incorrect statements
> in the wiki. (Some but not all introduced by me.)
>
> The "apk add asterisk=1.6.0.21-r0" and "apk add 'asterisk<1.6.1'" syntax
> is already described at
> http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux_package_management
>
> I'm not familiar with the "apk add foo_at_edge" syntax. What if my
> /etc/apk/repositories file looks like this:
>
>        /var/lib/packages/main
>        /var/lib/packages/testing
>        http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main
>        http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/testing
>
> I assume that the "... foo_at_edge" syntax will force whatever foo package
> is in one of the last two repositories to be counted as most recent. But
> which one? Does it look at both of them? What else is usable in the
> "_at_edge" position of "foo_at_edge"? I assume "@v2.4" is also usable. What
> about "_at_main" or "@testing"? If you want to point me to the release
> notes describing this functionality, or write up a quick explanation,
> I'll be glad to format it and merge it into the wiki.

The tags need to be defined in repositories file. See:

http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/apk-tools/commit/?id=500f8d4a7d7b17871647392e79e4c7a17c210534

This is quite unique feature in apk... to the degree that the pinnings are specified on command line and not in config file like apt. Also the dependency pulling is rather smart - and getting smarter in v2.5.

Few other things to mention might be:
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/apk-tools/commit/?id=77e203bf3224293d8f8e01dd15d6262eed840cf9
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/apk-tools/commit/?id=ba3ee3f86396f05123f732da7c7879c8ed016c9d

These are since alpine v2.4.