Re: [alpine-devel] Minimal ram requirements?

From: Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau_at_citrix.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 13:30:56 +0100

On 09/11/12 13:13, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
>> I guess it depends of the usage, but it can be useful even with only 64 MB.
>
> I'm surprised it needs this much ram to be honest but I guess it's all
> the drivers in the kernel and could be easily reduced?
>
> OpenBSD can handle a surprising number of packets as a firewall with
> just 32MB of ram. Atleast I believe that's still true.

This is with Alpine Linux running on RAM as file backend, which means
you have all the filesystem in RAM and the kernel. I guess you mean
OpenBSD only needs 32MB when running from HDD, if you install to HDD I
guess Alpine is going to be fine with 32MB (although I haven't tested
it, and I'm not sure if there's some kind of restriction on the minimum
RAM the linux kernel needs).

Roger.