Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine on Alix (was: Minimal ram requirements?)

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 23:30:14 +0200

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 21:51:21 +0100 Der Tiger
<der.tiger.alpine_at_arcor.de> wrote:

> Some time ago, I tried to get Alpine running on an Alix 2C3 system,
> which is nearly identical to the 2D3, but the kernel (I suppose 2.6)
> was crashing constantly. Most crashes occurred when I started larger
> applications like Asterisk. BIOS version was 0.99h, the latest version
> available, and I tested with MFGPT workaround enabled and disabled.

I have multiple ALIX 2d3 boxes here, and most of them run Alpine 2.4.x
and Asterisk 10. No problems.

> May I ask which kernel you are using? Does Alpine require certain
> kernel configuration parameters to run stable on Alix boards?

I'm on kernel 3.3.x. and 3.4.x mostly.

No special configuration needed. Except for the one box where I use the
speaker output as GPIO. But even on that box it's done with sysfs
calls instead of boot params.

> I am quite sure my Alix board is _not_ defective, because there have
> bin no issues running Voyage Linux and fli4l. Due to the problems
> mentioned, the Alix was replaced by a considerably more powerful
> Intel DN2800MT, but I would like to reactivate the Alix board for
> supplementary purposes.

- Timo