Re: [alpine-devel] Redmine

From: Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 12:44:54 +0100

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy_at_thomersonfamily.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> ncopa has tried to get it working with lighttpd but failed because
>> fastcgi seems to be broken. We looked at alternatives and the
>> most interesting was unicorn (github is also using it). That's why Redmine
>> apk is now based on unicorn instead of lighttpd. Can you list the issues to
>> which you run into? With that info we can extend the wiki from a user
>> perspective (sometimes I take things for granted which I should not).
>>

> I have lighty running fastcgi for PHP. I tried adding config to get it
> running for Redmine (ruby) but it kept crashing. Maybe that's the same
> thing you experienced.

Fastcgi itself is not broken, but ruby-fastcgi is, although i didn't try it
myself.

> Most of the issues I ran into are what you describe below - the dependency
> nightmare. But I was able to install ruby-bundle and "bundle install"
> worked to get things going where I could run Redmine with the built-in
> server. However, I could not get the ruby-fcgi dependency (added by APK)
> recognized. And adding fcgi as a dependency in the Gemfile broke things
> (bundler wouldn't install it because of missing header files - I think -
> but even when I "apk add ruby-dev" it still complained).

You need alpine-sdk and needed depends to build those ruby packages. Thats
one of the reasons we want those packages inside aports. apk add redmine
should be enough to get things going. After that you need to configure the
webserver of use. Although we choose for unicorn, there are other
alternatives which should work, aslong its not fcgi related.
I will see what is missing to make redmine install by only using apk, but
configuring the website is not part of this.