Re: [alpine-devel] using acf as a rest API

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 15:19:34 -0500

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Jaime Melis <jmelis_at_opennebula.org> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm an OpenNebula developer and I had a chat today with Roger and he told me
> about this project. As far as I've seen, it looks like a perfect match for
> many
> things we want to do in our project.
>
> One of these thing is to provide our users with a virtual router that
> autoconfigures itself matching the OpenNebula configuration and does things
> like: dns server, dhcp server, etc...
>
> So, my question here is, I'd like to call some acf funcionalities from
> inside a
> pogram (namely reconfigure dnsmasq and restart the service), so far I've
> seen
> the only way to do this programmatically is to log-in with curl for
> instance,
> get the cookie, and pass it along to the following requests.
>
> Is there any alternative? should I do this in a different way? would you
> consider applying a patch developed by me that enables http basic
> authentication
> in /etc/acf/acf.conf so I can simply do the equivalent of curl -X POST -u
> <username>:<pass> https://... without the need of handling cookies?

I believe this is one of the problems that ACF2 looks to solve. But I
don't personally work on ACF/ACF2, so I can't tell you for certain.

Other than that, I think a patch would be fine as a short-term
solution. We (myself and my employer) are certainly interested in
using ACF for instance orchestration, too, in our internal builds of
Alpine.

William