Re: [alpine-devel] Re: [acf] Windows 7 on Xen Using Alpine Linux

From: Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau_at_citrix.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:50:06 +0200

On 17/04/13 20:56, Ted Trask wrote:
> I think you wanted to send this to the alpine-devel mailing list. I have
> copied that list too so that they can respond.
>
> Ted

Sure.

>> What are the steps to do this?

You have to create a Xen HVM (you will need to use hardware with
virtualization extensions). There's a tutorial here for example:

http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Installing_and_Running_Windows_7_as_a_Xen_HVM_domainU_Guest

The config file shown on the tutorial is for xm (the old toolstack), you
should modify it a little bit to work with xl:

---
builder='hvm'
memory = 1024
vcpus=2
name = "xenwin7"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
acpi = 1
apic = 1
disk = [ 'file:/home/xen/xenwin7.img,hda,w',
'file:/home/xen/windows7.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d)
# default: hard disk, cd-rom, floppy
boot="dc"
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncconsole=1
vncpasswd=''
serial='pty'
usbdevice='tablet'
---
And I would recommend using a block device as a disk (LVM) instead of a
raw file. Also, to get better IO performance you should install the PV
drivers inside the Windows VM:
http://wiki.univention.de/index.php?title=Installing-signed-GPLPV-drivers
There are also some non-GPL windows drivers from Citrix, you might also
try those if the ones above don't work well.
>> 2- Is Alpine Linux appropriate for automated windows desktop virtualization,
>> that is each desktop boots from network PXE and then starts up a virtualized
>> windows environment using Xen.
I guess there's nothing like this on Alpine right now, but it shouldn't
be too hard to do.
What people usually do (IMHO) is setup a big server with all the VMs
running on it, and then use lightweight machines that only run VNC to
connect to the remote server that provides the VM.