[alpine-devel] PXE boot of Alpine Linux

From: Richard Johnson <johnson9884_at_qq.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:20:45 +0430
Hi,

I want to setup a PXE boot server offering customized alpine linux images. Initially I used 'setup-alpine' to configure alpine linux to boot from my external hard drive. Now I have copied the contents of the external hard drive on a debian server which acts as a PXE server. I am using syslinux to boot alpine using the following boot description:

    KERNEL linux/alpine/boot/mboot.c32
    APPEND linux/alpine/boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=256M --- linux/alpine/boot/vmlinuz-3.6.11-grsec --- linux/alpine/boot/grsec.gz root=/dev/nfs rw rootfstype=nfs nfsroot=192.168.0.52:/tftpboot/linux/alpine/

Where "linux/alpine/" is the relative folder where I have copied alpine on the debian server and "192.168.0.52" is the IP of the debian server. Now, the PXE starts with booting xen.gz, vmlinuz-3.6.11-grsec and grsec successfully, however it then complains with the error:

cp: can't stat '/media//.alpine-release': No such file or directory
/sbin/init not found in new root. Launching emergency recovery shell
Type exit to continue boot.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

I have attached a photo of the boot logs. Sorry for the bad image quality, I could not take a snapshot. I suspect that the boot parameters might not be completely correct. Does anyone have a working solution for booting alpine linux using PXE?

Regards

IMG_0239.JPG
(image/jpeg attachment: IMG_0239.JPG)

IMG_0237.JPG