Re: [alpine-devel] PXE boot of Alpine Linux

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 12:01:36 +0200

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:09:51 +0100
Hugo Landau <hlandau_at_devever.net> wrote:

> However, I recently submitted a patch to enable Alpine to PXE boot and
> run from RAM. You can find this patch here: http://sprunge.us/TYHc, but
> it should eventually go into Alpine itself. The patch is for the init
> script placed into the initrd by mkinitfs.

Hugo, and all,

I have done a closer review of the patch now and I have some thoughts.

* I wonder if we could drop the ovl_dev boot option and use the format:

  apkovl=<device>[:<fstype>]:<path-to-apkovlfile>

where :<fstype> is optional. If no fstype is specified let kernel autodetect.

For PXE the boot option could be: apkovl=http://<server>/path/host.apkovl.tar.gz

I could not find anything documented on wiki.alpinelinux.org about ovl_dev. If nobody is using it, we could simply remove the ovl_dev option.

Otherwise we could keep it for compat but let a new apkvol option take preference.