[alpine-devel] [2.6rc2] USB 3G Modems Not Working, Anymore

From: Der Tiger <der.tiger.alpine_at_arcor.de>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 16:10:02 +0200

Hi,

Looks like there is a problem with USB modems (in my case a Huawei
E372) on 2.6rc1 and 2.6rc2. The modem is recognized and listed in
/var/log/messages, as well as with 'lsusb', but no /dev/ttyUSB* special
files are created. I had no such troubles on 2.5. Between the working
2.5 and the current, non-operating state there where only two 'sudo apk
-U upgrade' (to 2.6rc1 and later 2.6rc2, both with reboot afterwards)
and no other changes to the Alpine system.

At this stage, I cannot pinpoint the problem. Kernel module 'usbserial'
is loaded and a generic USB-to-serial adapter is recognized and the
corresponding special file created. My educated guess therefore is an
issue with 'usb_modeswitch' which can access the USB modem, but exits with:

8<------------------------------------------------------->8
alpine:~$ sudo usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1505 -H

Looking for default devices ...
   found matching product ID
   adding device
 Found device in default mode, class or configuration (1)
Accessing device 003 on bus 005 ...
Getting the current device configuration ...
 OK, got current device configuration (1)
Using interface number 0
Using endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)
Inquiring device details; driver will be detached ...
Looking for active driver ...
 OK, driver found; name unknown, limitation of libusb1
 OK, driver "unkown" detached

SCSI inquiry data (for identification)
-------------------------
  Vendor String: HUAWEI
   Model String: Mass Storage
Revision String: 2.31
-------------------------

USB description data (for identification)
-------------------------
Manufacturer: Huawei Technologies
     Product: HUAWEI Mobile
  Serial No.: not provided
-------------------------
Sending Huawei control message ...
Error: sending Huawei control message failed (error -32). Aborting.

I can't tell, if this is caused by the kernel or the usb_modeswitch
tool. The modem itself is working flawlessly as proofed by connecting it
to my laptop. A different type of Huawei modem (namely E169) causes the
same problem on Alpine 2.6rc*.

I'll gladly provide any information required to solve the problem.

Any idea, what's causing this?

Kind Regards, Tiger