Re: [alpine-devel] Bunch of questions about Alpine's gcc package

From: Dubiousjim <lists+alpine-devel_at_jimpryor.net>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 13:50:46 -0400

I can answer two of my questions:

On Fri, May 17, 2013, at 01:07 PM, Dubiousjim wrote:

> Our sources has:
> boehem-gc-uclibc.patch
> What about the patches available at
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/src/patchsets/gcc/4.7.3/uclibc/?
> Buildroot includes all of those patches, but at a first glance, it seems
> like we don't include them? Are first appearances misleading here?
>
> What about the rest of the patches in our sources list: where do those
> come from? Were they generated by Alpine devs, or do they come from
> miscellaneous places? If anyone can venture a recommendation as to
> whether I should apply those patches (and also the earlier block of
> patches) to my cross-compiling gcc, I'd welcome the advice.

The boehem-gc-uclibc.patch turns out to be the same as
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/src/patchsets/gcc/4.7.3/uclibc/90_all_301-missing-execinfo_h.patch.

But the rest of the patches in that folder on sources.gentoo.org seem
not to be used by our APKBUILD, and I'm not sure where the rest of the
patches in our APKBUILD are coming from.

> These are options that Alpine uses when configuring gcc that I wasn't
> able to find documentation on (for instance, at
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html). Might some of these options
> now be obsolete? Or could anyone offer any explanation of these, and
> suggestions about whether I should also apply them to the
> cross-compiler. (I will continue to research these, as well.)
>
> --disable-altivec # from what I could see, gcc's -maltivec
> option is only relevant for RS/6000 and PowerPC
> --disable-build-with-cxx
> --disable-libstdcxx-pch
> --enable-esp
> --without-system-libunwind

I found info on one of these, --enable-esp. This is used for the PIE
patchset, which I'm not using. See
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/src/patchsets/gcc/4.7.3/pie/README?revision=1.1&view=markup.