Re: [alpine-devel] Xen-guest-only kernel configs?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 20:04:12 +0200

On Fri, 17 May 2013 13:20:25 -0400
Dubiousjim <lists+alpine-devel_at_jimpryor.net> wrote:

> Congrats to Natanael and everyone else who helped get 2.6 into shape!

Thanks!

> I've got Alpine installed as a Xen guest on a Linode instance. To do
> this, I built my own stripped-down Xen-guest-only kernels. (The x86_64
> linux-grsec also worked, but the x86 one doesn't have Xen stuff turned
> on.

Yes, to support older hw. (if you have really acient hw, what distro
would you pick?)

> If anyone else is interested in these stripped-down kernel configs,
> perhaps we could make an additional kernel package.

Yes, I am interested, but I'd like a kernel for a generic virtual guest
that works for xen, kvm, virtualbox, vmware and hyper-v. We have the
linux-virt-grsec kernel for this purpose
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/testing/linux-virt-grsec

Unfortunally, it is lagging behind. If you use it and plan to maintain
it anyways... maybe you could help us maintain it?

I would be ok to start over with your config and then add other virtual
drivers on request.

> Or I could at
> least post the current version in a gist for others to lookup if they
> ever have the need down the road (and stumble across this email).
>
> They're here: https://gist.github.com/dubiousjim/5538673. That's
> currently for 3.8.11, but I have versions for kernel 3.9.2, too. I'll
> update the gist files sometime soon.

Thanks for sharing!