[alpine-devel] Feature for NETDOWN=no

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 08:31:50 +0200

Hi,

I got a feature request for preventing taking down an interface on
shutdown. I wonder how we should implement this.

Option 1:

 set RC_NETDOWN=no in /etc/rc.conf (or /etc/conf.d/networking) will
 prevent taking down all the network interface on shutdown. No support
 for preventing individual interfaces - its all or nothing.

Option 2:

 Use a blacklist (eg RC_PREVENT_NETDOWN) of interfaces to not take
 down. For example: RC_PREVENT_NETDOWN="eth0 eth3" will take down eth1
 and eth2 but not eth0 and eth3. If set to 'all', all interfaces will
 be kept up and if set to 'none' all interfaces will be taken down.
 Deafult would be 'none'.

 Alternative variable names are: RC_NET_KEEP_UP

Option 3:

 Use a whitelist of interfaces to take down on shutdown. For example
 RC_NETDOWN="eth1 eth2" will keep eth0 and eth3 up on shutdown. If set
 to 'all' then all interfaces will be taken down and if set to 'none',
 all interfaces will be kept up on shutdown. Default would be 'all'.

What do you prefer? They are all very simple to implement.

What are good variable names?