Re: [alpine-devel] musl and ARM in 2.7 (and an introduction)

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:16:26 +0300

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:04:17 +0200
"Leslie P. Polzer | PORT ZERO" <polzer_at_port-zero.com> wrote:

> On 10/18/2013 12:16 PM, Timo Teras wrote:
>
> > In the long run we are currently planning to drop uclibc, and
> > replace it with musl in the primary builds for Alpine 3.0. In case
> > we do not get everything done for next release date, we might still
> > do Alpine 2.8 based on uclibc.
>
> Ah, so it's not intimately linked with the ARM port but more of
> a general improvement. Good to know.

Correct.

> Thanks a lot for all the information on cross compiling Alpine for
> ARM! That's very helpful. I will spend the next days getting
> acquainted with the toolchain. I'm also interested in building
> packages with clang.

clang is there and built for ARM already. It works since mesa needs it
to build.

However, it's not fully independent build - it uses libgcc, etc. We
have not seen yet the need to build "self hosting" clang. However, this
is an interesting option, and we would appreciate if someone does it.

We are planning to take a look at it at some point too. We might be also
considering switching to clang as main toolchain later when it has
matured a little bit more still.

- Timo