[alpine-devel] HPLIP on Alpine

From: Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy_at_thomersonfamily.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 15:39:01 -0500

Anyone ever tried setting up an HP printer on Alpine? I have an OfficeJet
Pro L7680 that I wanted to try to set up so that you could AirPrint to it.
It seems that if you can get a CUPS server configured to print to your
printer you can then use Avahi to provide AirPrint functionality (see [1]).

I have Avahi already running for other dnssd/mdns stuff, so that part
shouldn't be hard. And installing CUPS and configuring it was a breeze on
Alpine. But I couldn't seem to get my printer working with CUPS. I think
that HPLIP must be required.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up a print server on Alpine with
HP printers? Did you need HPLIP? How hard is it to package something like
that? (I'm not good at Linux packaging, but I could give it a shot).

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/avahi#Airprint_from_Mobile_Devices

Jeremy Thomerson