[alpine-devel] Plans for Alpine Linux 3.0 with musl libc

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:32:26 +0100

Hi,

We are planning to do an Alpine Linux release 3.0 in May 2014. With
this release we will switch to musl libc instead of uclibc.

Here are the plans we have for this:

* Set up builder for musl libc package. This is done already but needs
  to finish automation bits. Packages are available from 'edge-musl'
  repository for now.

* Rename 'edge-musl' to 'edge'. At this point all edge users will need
  do full reinstall (apk upgrade -U -a or similar). There are already
  tests done for this so I don't think it will cause too much pain.
  http://kaniini.dereferenced.org/2014/03/23/upgrading-to-alpine-musl.html

* Make alpha iso image with musl libc and test that installers etc works.

* Fix as many bugs as possible and make sure the remaining packages
  builds (or deprecate those who does not)

* Make release candidates.

* Make 3.0 release.

The 3.0 release can be considered 'beta' since this is a brand new libc
that has not been tested much, and will not get enough time for getting
tested thoroughly. Because of this we will most likely reduce the
support time for this release to maximum 1 year, and instead extend the
bugfixing period for v2.7.

We are also working on armhf support for this release and would like
some feedback on what boards people are interested in.

I would also like to say that so far the work with musl libc have been
surprisingly pleasant.