[alpine-devel] Why musl libc

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 13:55:47 +0100

Hi,

As previously mentioned we are moving to musl libc[1].

Some might ask why so I'll write down some reasons why we do this:

* uClibc is too slow on making releases.

* uClibc code is a bit messy and some issues we have is simply not
  worth fixing with uClibc code base. (locales, static linking with
  pthreads[2])

* musl is well maintained upstream

* musl has clean codebase and lots legacy code is removed.

* musl has focus on strictness which helps us find obscure bugs.

* we work on ARM port and rather than fix uClibc we work with musl
  which has cleaner codebase.

-nc

[1] http://www.musl-libc.org/
[2] http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/1579