Re: [alpine-devel] How to rescue your edge box after the mkinitfs incident

From: Alan Messias <alancordeiro_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:46:52 -0300

Is it useful to be placed on wiki.al.o ?

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It turned out that there were 2 bugs in mkinitfs, one that only
> affected uClibc and one that affected both uClibc and musl.
>
> I thought I'd write how I rescued my laptop after it became unbootable
> after upgrading to broken mkinitfs.
>
> * Boot a rescue boot USB, with alpine v2.7
>
> * Configure network (run setup-alpine -q for setting up the live
> session)
>
> * make sure you have new apk-tools:
>
> apk upgrade -U
>
> * I have my root on lvm so:
>
> apk add lvm2
> lvchange -a y vg0
>
> * mount the root:
>
> mount -t /dev/vg0/lv_root /mnt
>
> * mount the boot partition. In my case this is /dev/sda2:
>
> mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot
>
> * I had to mount /mnt/proc otherwise readlink -f wouldn't work in the
> chroot. Not sure if it is needed for uclibc:
>
> mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
>
> * Upgrade the broken system:
>
> apk upgrade -U --root /mnt
>
> * Verify that you get mkinitfs-2.6.0-r3 and check that mkinitfs trigger
> don't give any cpio errors.
>
> * cleanup and reboot.
>
> umount /mnt/proc /mnt/boot /mnt
> reboot
>
> That should be it.
>
> -nc

Atenciosamente,
Alan Messias Cordeiro
*The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait
another year until the one arises you are looking for. -- A. Tanenbaum,
"Introduction to Computer Networks"*