Re: [alpine-devel] Firefox not starting for normal user after Xorg update

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:38:04 +0300

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 14:05:41 +0200
Paul Onyschuk <blink_at_bojary.koba.pl> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 14:31:35 +0300
> Timo Teras wrote:
>
> > I bumped into this exact same issue just yesterday. It seems to be
> > grsec preventing access to /sys (by modifying the default
> > permissions). And apparently the new i915 module wants to open stuff
> > there. Not sure if we should patch grsec, the driver, or somehow
> > adjust the /sys permissions. Should probably ask from grsec people
> > what to do.
>
> Looking at source code of xf86-video-intel [1] functions accessing
> sysfs are guarded by #ifdef __linux__ in intel_device.c (for other
> system lacking sysfs e.g. *BSD). Otherwise this happens:

I think that code runs only in X server? The code running as library is
likely part of Mesa, which likely calls libudev. Though, I did not
bother to check which is the exact place for doing the /sys stuff.

I just posted the strace. See:
https://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4012

And yes, the problem seems to affect GL enabled X-stuff, e.g. same
issue happens video players (vlc, mpv) but only when they are using gl
output module.

/Timo