[alpine-devel] Cannot mount root filesystem with latest vanilla kernel

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:17:03 -0700

Hello,
Posting from a different distro, since I can't boot Alpine.

I've got a bit of a problem with the latest linux-vanilla kernel.
Yesterday I did an update and upgrade, and today I'm getting an
initramfs shell whenever I boot.
I have /dev/sda14 as root, formatted as ext2.
I can mount it from another distro, as ext2.

When I try mounting /dev/sda14 on /sysroot without specifying fstype,
I get this errormessage:
mount: cannot mount /dev/sda14 on /sysroot: no such file or directory
and there are no new messages in dmesg.

If I specify -t ext2 (or ext3 or ext4), I get
mount: cannot mount /dev/sda14 on /sysroot: no such device
and dmesg has a large number of complaints about symbol version mismatches
in the filesystem driver (ext2 or ext3 or ext4).

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham