Re: [alpine-devel] considering packaging another mailx

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 07:37:29 -0700

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:46:43AM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 13:33:17 -0700
> Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm inclined to think that in the short term, heirloom-mailx would be
> > a significant improvement over our current main/mailx.
>
> Agree.
>
> > What I'd like to do is add testing/heirloom-mailx providing mailx;
> > I have a preliminary aport without the provides part.
> > In the future, upgrading to s-nail seems like a logical path; but
> > I think that using s-nail now might be hasty.
>
> The upstream tarball is named mailx so i think you can just call it
> testing/mailx and we simply purge unmaintained/mailx.
>
> Thank you very much for following this up!

I think you're getting packages a little mixed up due to all the
occurences of mailx.

There are two preexisting packages:

unmaintained/mailx-support
main/mailx

mailx-support is the "lockspool" utility from OpenBSD, which should
probably be used whenever mbox-format spools are used.
If it were renamed to lockspool, that would be more informative.

main/mailx is in main, so I don't want to purge it just yet.
But it would be more accurate to rename it to main/mail

Now, a note: If heirloom-mailx gets renamed to mailx, it will need one
alteration:
I'm using the package name to rename mailx.1 so it doesn't conflict with
man-pages.
In my experiene, the magic that the fts APKBUILD uses to try to avoid
intalling fts-doc along with man-pages doesn't work, so I'd rather not
duplicate it.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham