Re: [alpine-devel] Re: Cannot mount root filesystem with latest vanilla kernel

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:35:09 -0700

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:31:05AM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 14:05:08 -0700
> Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 01:17:02PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > Posting from a different distro, since I can't boot Alpine.
> > >
> > > I've got a bit of a problem with the latest linux-vanilla kernel.
> > > Yesterday I did an update and upgrade, and today I'm getting an
> > > initramfs shell whenever I boot.
> > > I have /dev/sda14 as root, formatted as ext2.
> > > I can mount it from another distro, as ext2.
> > >
> > > When I try mounting /dev/sda14 on /sysroot without specifying fstype,
> > > I get this errormessage:
> > > mount: cannot mount /dev/sda14 on /sysroot: no such file or directory
> > > and there are no new messages in dmesg.
> > >
> > > If I specify -t ext2 (or ext3 or ext4), I get
> > > mount: cannot mount /dev/sda14 on /sysroot: no such device
> > > and dmesg has a large number of complaints about symbol version mismatches
> > > in the filesystem driver (ext2 or ext3 or ext4).
> > >
> > > Any ideas how to fix it?
> >
> > apk fix linux-vanilla
> > solved it.
> >
> > No idea what caused this, though.
>
> i think update-extlinux or mkinitfs trigger failed for some reason so
> the initramfs image got broken. I have no idea why though.

Well, ran into more problems:
- on the second boot, the problem reappeared.
- I chrooted in, purged linux-vanilla, exited, umounted the root
  partition, ran e2fsck -p (which fixed several isssues with "deleted
  inodes"), ran e2fsck -cckv, which reported no bad blocks or other
  issues, remounted & chrooted, installed linux-vanilla, ran
 apk fix mkinitfs,
  exited, umounted, ran sync; sync; sync;
  and rebooted to find that the issue was still there.

Most modules are giving me complaints about missing symbols or bad
symbol versions.

I am using grub1 (installed on /dev/sda8) to boot; the consistent naming
of Alpine kernels means that I can use a static entry.
grub continues to work fine with my other installs, and has not been
updated.

Could someone else test whether in Qemu, the latest linux-vanilla has
any such issues (after module loading, does
dmesg |grep symbol
show any errors?)

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham