Mail archive

[alpine-devel] apk-tools work-in-progress

From: Timo Teras <>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 13:17:21 +0300

It's been awhile since my last spurt on apk-tools. In fact, a bit too
long time. Fortunately, I'm working on apk actively this month.

I earlier today pushed apk-tools-2.4.5 to edge which contains various
bug fixes.

The observant may have also noticed that apk-tools.git already contains
code to use libfetch instead of fork+exec of wget to get http(s)/ftp
URIs. This seems to be working and apparently provides a nice speed
improvement in most cases (due to less forking, having connection
caching/re-use, and using if-modified-since headers).

I'm also planning to fix:
#2251 - option to restart init.d services on package upgrades
#3027 - support xattr (at least to the extent PaX/grsec needs it)

We also had the patch series, various ideas and other suggestions on
the mailing list that would affect compatibility. One to name are the
command line argument parsing patches/suggestions from Dubiousjim,
Isaac Dunham and ncopa. I will probably implement the 'command argument
grouping' stuff. And try to write a follow up mail on suggested new
arguments / applet names based on the old emails on the subject.

And there was also the logging patchset from Jim. I'll probably apply
it mostly as-is - perhaps just making it disabled by default. And allow
it to be enabled by 'touch /etc/apk/logging' or similar.

I'm thinking to get all that in within next week or two. Hopefully
having all to new stuff in time before alpine-3.1 branching.

If you have new patchsets, old ones that are rebased, something I missed
or just other ideas for apk-tools, please reply to this mail.