[alpine-devel] apk-tools command line arguments

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 16:20:28 +0300

On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 13:17:21 +0300
Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi> wrote:

> We also had the patch series, various ideas and other suggestions on
> the mailing list that would affect compatibility. One to name are the
> command line argument parsing patches/suggestions from Dubiousjim,
> Isaac Dunham and ncopa. I will probably implement the 'command
> argument grouping' stuff. And try to write a follow up mail on
> suggested new arguments / applet names based on the old emails on the
> subject.

Ok. option groups are now implemented - but the organization needs clean
up still.

So the tricky tasks are:

- potentially merge info and search applets, and unify their output
  (or make it a 'ls' / 'list' and remove info/search)

- unify short options -R/-D/etc for all applets recursive/dependency
  handling policy

Insightful mails from ncopa about this are:
http://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/3042.html
http://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/3064.html

Need to make a plan about how to do this.

Additional compatibility breaking changes to consider are:

- rename 'index' to 'mkindex'

- potentially make 'apk -U' a shortcut to 'update'

- remove 'version' applets:
  move default functionality to "upgrade --analyze" or "index --version"
  -I should go to "index --version", and/or generic --version
  -t and -c probably deserve a new 'verstr' applet

And it seems this can be done in simple way now:

- short form for --simulate; -s suggested but overlaps with fetch
  --stdout and info --size currently; though if we move --simulate
  option to commit group it'd work nice

Did I miss something?