Re: [alpine-devel] apk-tools work-in-progress

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:48:03 +0300

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:32:09 +0200
Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you have new patchsets, old ones that are rebased, something I
> > missed or just other ideas for apk-tools, please reply to this mail.
>
> One of the missing features in apk-tools (I've had this question
> multiple times on IRC) is the ability of query packages file list
> when not installed. I think we have discussed this before, but I
> though I would just bump it again to see what you think about it.
> Maybe add an switch to generate an alternative database which we can
> query after it has been generated locally?

This would be http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/2623

I'm not sure how this could be done nicely using existing code.
Probably the "fetch | tar" pipeline is what I'd end up implementing in
APK.

This does tie up a bit with the 'info' / 'search' and flags
simplification. There should be applet that deals with raw 'packages'
like 'apk verify' does. Printing meta-data from a .apk could be one
option.

So we basically have queries of:
 - installed
 - package

Now the info in 'index' is a subset of stuff in 'installed'; and
package contains all that is in 'installed' though, it'll be in
different format.

But yes, this should be taken into account when considering changes to
applet names.

Thanks,
Timo