Re: [alpine-devel] Help needed with forums

From: Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 00:07:11 +0200

On 10 October 2014 11:48, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As some have noticed we have got some spam on our forums.
>
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/3421
>
> We need someone who can help with the forums, moderation etc,
> preferable someone who is willing to try keep the forums alive.

I have tried to keep up in the beginning, but in the end i keep forgetting
we have it because i don't use it myself.
I did add some function to easily remove spam and block the users who are
spammers, and implemented captcha's.

> I am ok to keep drupal for forums (if that is what we want) when moving
> to new website, but it might also be an opportunity to move to
> something else (move to redmine? fluxbb?), or even shut it down
> completely.

With the new website coming, I see absolutely no need to keep Drupal as
only a forum (its not really designed to be one).
Redmine is probably an even worse choice, as most people don't like redmine
anyway, and Ruby/Redmine is a POS to maintain.

> Any volunteers?

This seem to be the issue with Alpine. We do not have enough people who
want to do infra/support. I guess its the result of the product we provide.
Forums shouldn't be a single persons task to maintain. If thats going to be
the case we should consider it EOL.