Re: [alpine-devel] LibreSSL - Thoughts on Integration

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 09:20:34 +0200

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:02:39 -0700
systmkor <systmkor_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any plans on making LibreSSL a package, alternative install
> to OpenSSL, or becoming the default instead of OpenSSL? What do you
> guys think and why?

We discussed this when libressl was published, and decided to wait at
least a little bit because the initial versions had some bugs, and the
portable version was not available.

There was also discussion on picking up some other proven crypto
library with better license, and just write openssl api layer for it.
But this is a lot bigger job and has not progressed since.

I think we'll reconsider starting using libressl after next stable
branching of Alpine (which is due in few weeks).

/Timo