Re: [alpine-devel] LibreSSL - Thoughts on Integration

From: systmkor <systmkor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:10:20 -0700

> We discussed this when libressl was published, and decided to wait at
> least a little bit because the initial versions had some bugs, and the
> portable version was not available.

It appears that the portable version is somewhat stable now. I think this is the
official repository for it. https://github.com/libressl-portable/portable

> There was also discussion on picking up some other proven crypto
> library with better license, and just write openssl api layer for it.
> But this is a lot bigger job and has not progressed since.

While I am not a huge fan of the BSD license but I do think it
has its appropriate uses. There is also BoringSSL at
https://boringssl.googlesource.com/ which could eventually become
another alternate version.

> I think we'll reconsider starting using libressl after next stable
> branching of Alpine (which is due in few weeks).

Should I create an issue for this on redmine tracker?