Re: [alpine-devel] Could we break the mesa-dev dependency on mesa-dbg?

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:48:50 +0200

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:24:22 -0800
Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have several development packages installed, which drag in three
> -dbg packages: glib-dbg, musl-dbg, and mesa-dbg.
> In theory, I can see the logic for -dev requiring -dbg.
> In practice, I've installed the Qt5 development packages to build
> the Otter browser, whiich works quite well; these pull in mesa-dev,
> thus pulling in mesa-dbg, which is over 100 megabytes I have
> absolutely no use for (~7% of total disk usage).
>
> Would it be possible to make mesa-dbg an exception, due to its
> extremely large installed size?

I think it would be useful if none of the -dev packages depended on the
-dbg. It's not a dependency. And it'll made builders run faster, etc.

I think -dbg should be standalone. It's needed only when debugging a
package.

The only sensible default would be -dbg having install_if=<parent> gdb.
Though it might not be feasible to install *all* -dbg packages due to
their size. Perhaps add meta-packages "debug-info", and have install_if
against that?

/Timo