Re: [alpine-devel] Could we break the mesa-dev dependency on mesa-dbg?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:15:32 +0100

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:48:50 +0200
Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:24:22 -0800
> Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have several development packages installed, which drag in three
> > -dbg packages: glib-dbg, musl-dbg, and mesa-dbg.
> > In theory, I can see the logic for -dev requiring -dbg.
> > In practice, I've installed the Qt5 development packages to build
> > the Otter browser, whiich works quite well; these pull in mesa-dev,
> > thus pulling in mesa-dbg, which is over 100 megabytes I have
> > absolutely no use for (~7% of total disk usage).
> >
> > Would it be possible to make mesa-dbg an exception, due to its
> > extremely large installed size?
>
> I think it would be useful if none of the -dev packages depended on the
> -dbg. It's not a dependency. And it'll made builders run faster, etc.
>
> I think -dbg should be standalone. It's needed only when debugging a
> package.

I agree, but unfortunally, we just built world with current behaviour and I just did RC1.

I can update abuild to not add -dbg as subpackage but then all the
packages which has -dbg needs to be rebuilt.

The list of packages are:

main/asterisk
main/claws-mail
main/dhcp
main/firefox
main/freeradius
main/freeradius3
main/glib
main/gnutls
main/kamailio
main/libnice
main/libtirpc
main/lighttpd
main/mesa
main/musl
main/nfs-utils
main/nsd
main/openvswitch
main/oscam
main/php
main/postgresql
main/quagga
main/rpcbind
main/rtapd
main/rtnppd
main/unbound
testing/firefox

Are we ok to do this before RC2?

> The only sensible default would be -dbg having install_if=<parent> gdb.
> Though it might not be feasible to install *all* -dbg packages due to
> their size. Perhaps add meta-packages "debug-info", and have install_if
> against that?

I don't think its worth it. You normally only install -dbg when you are
trying to debug a specific application.

-nc