[alpine-devel] Re: fltk upgrades, dillo, other packages...

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:46:19 -0800

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 10:10:26PM -0800, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm working on getting WebkitFLTK[1] to build, so as to build Fifth,
> which is yet another Webkit browser--this time, it's loosely based on
> Opera 9.x and uses FLTK.
> WebkitFLTK requires FLTK 1.3.3, while we have 1.3.2.
> There are some issues with doing an upgrade:
> -1.3.3 has a couple bugs fixed in SVN; this is easily addressed by
> grabbing the patches.
> -1.3.3 also is now missing the symbol "fl_oldfocus" (and possibly others),
> which will break dillo. It does *not* change the library version.
> I have looked through the commit logs and looked online, and there's
> no obvious candidate for what caused the issue.
> The dillo developers are guessing that linker magic might have caused it;
> they have a workaround that involves disabling the use of fl_oldfocus,
> at the cost of not restoring focus properly.

-fvisibility=hidden is the culprit; FLTK started using it this summer.
Building with -fvisibility-inlines-hidden instead seems to avoid this.

Although we'll get smaller binaries with -fvisibility=hidden,
I'm inclined to forcibly switch it to -fvisibility-inlines-hidden.
It would also be possible to do some prodding, by running
make && rm src/Fl.o && \
sed -e 's/fvisibility=hidden/fvisibility-inlines-hidden/g' -i makeinclude && \
make || return 1

which builds only the one file where it's relevant with less aggressive
visibility settings.

Considering that I'd be using the same sed to disable it globally or for
the one file, I might as well set it for only the one file.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham