[alpine-devel] alpine 3.1.0 RC3 released

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:06:54 +0100

Hi,

I have tagged 3.1.0 RC3 release.

I have done some scary changes. I hate to do it this late, but some of
them are needed to be able ship a RPI edition.

Xen now has support for running the domUs in tmux in addition to gnu
screen. The default is to run it without console.

The kernel, initramfs and modloop names has changed on the boot media:

  kernel: $flavor -> vmlinuz-$flavor
                (eg. grsec -> vmlinuz-grsec)

  initramfs: $flavor.gz -> initramfs-$flavor
                (eg. grsec.gz -> initramfs-grsec)

  modloop: modloop.$flavor.squashfs -> modloop-$flavor
                (eg. modloop.grsec.squashfs -> modloop-grsec)

This is more in harmony with the disk install.

Unfortunally, this will likely break things when you upgrade tmpfs
install boxes with setup-bootable -u. We can think if we want fix that
somehow or if we simply document it and let users manually either
recreate or manually edit their syslinux.cfg

Meanwhile, it would be nice if I could get some help with testing the
boot images.

I am interested in testing:

## cdrom boot (can be tested from virtual machine)
 - boot cdrom
 - run setup-alpine and select tmpfs
 - create apkovl on usb
 - reboot and check config is read on bootup

## USB boot
 - boot cdrom/iso image
 - run setup-bootable to create boot usb
 - boot usb
 - run setup-alpine and select tmpfs
 - create apkovl on usb
 - reboot and check config is read on bootup

## disk install
 - boot cdrom
 - run setup-alpine and select sys disk install
 - reboot and check that it boots up
 - do the same but with booting from usb

Would be nice test that with both standard iso and Xen iso. This is
because xen iso image has differently generate
syslinux.cfg/isolinux.cfg.

or.. wait with it til rc4 is out. We will likely need change more
things for RPI.