Re: [alpine-devel] busybox-1.23 in edge

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 16:12:32 -0800

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 08:58:35PM +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I pushed busybox 1.23 to edge. So far I found at least one regression[1]
> in ash and possibly another in modprobe.
>
> After upgrading my laptop (both new kernel and new busybox) it didn't
> load the ahci kernel module from initramfs so the harddisks was not
> found. I don't know if this is due to something in new busybox or in
> new kernel or if it affects other hardware.
>
> To continue boot up from initramfs emergency shell i did something like:
>
> for i in $(find /sys -name uevent); do echo add > "$i"; done
> lvm pvscan
> lvm vgchange -a y
> mount /dev/vg0/lv_root /sysroot
> exit
>
> If someone has time and wants to investigate, you could try install
> v3.1 in a vm, then upgrade to edge. (do snapshot before the upgrade).
>
> Please be careful if you are on edge now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -nc

It sounds like it's a bug in busybox/whatever is doing coldplug; the
kernel is creating a uevent entry that corresponds to the hardware,
and it still has a modalias entry in ahci.ko (or you would need to
modprobe ahci manually)
Or it could be the kernel creating the uevent but not the modalias
file--which is a known issue with some hardware;
the workaround is to use something like this:

find /sys -name uevent -exec grep -h MODALIAS= '{}' + | sort -u | \
    cut -c 10- |xargs modprobe -a

HTH,
Isaac Dunham