Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] busybox-1.23 in edge

From: Natanael Copa <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 09:05:15 +0100

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 16:12:32 -0800
Isaac Dunham <> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 08:58:35PM +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I pushed busybox 1.23 to edge. So far I found at least one regression[1]
> > in ash and possibly another in modprobe.
> >
> > After upgrading my laptop (both new kernel and new busybox) it didn't
> > load the ahci kernel module from initramfs so the harddisks was not
> > found. I don't know if this is due to something in new busybox or in
> > new kernel or if it affects other hardware.

It did happen on my desktop too and I have a theory on whats going on.

> > To continue boot up from initramfs emergency shell i did something like:
> >
> > for i in $(find /sys -name uevent); do echo add > "$i"; done
> > lvm pvscan
> > lvm vgchange -a y
> > mount /dev/vg0/lv_root /sysroot
> > exit
> >
> > If someone has time and wants to investigate, you could try install
> > v3.1 in a vm, then upgrade to edge. (do snapshot before the upgrade).
> >
> > Please be careful if you are on edge now.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -nc
> It sounds like it's a bug in busybox/whatever is doing coldplug;

> the
> kernel is creating a uevent entry that corresponds to the hardware,
> and it still has a modalias entry in ahci.ko (or you would need to
> modprobe ahci manually)
> Or it could be the kernel creating the uevent but not the modalias
> file--which is a known issue with some hardware;
> the workaround is to use something like this:
> find /sys -name uevent -exec grep -h MODALIAS= '{}' + | sort -u | \
> cut -c 10- |xargs modprobe -a

Thank you very much for your input. I saw you suggested improvement in
our couldplug earlier. I didn't spend time on it partly because I
didn't feel it is broken, but mostly because I have some ideas how to
do this part proplerly with a netlink listener.

I tried your suggestion from emergency shell but disks didn't show up
so I don't think its the kernel that has changed. I think its new
busybox modprobe behavior introduced with upstream commit[1]
4e314faa0 (modprobe,rmmod: reject module names with slashes)

I think what happens is that if a slash (/) is found in the probe name,
modprobe will simply exit. We call it with: modprobe -a <alias1> <alias2> ...

So it means it will load all modules up to first alias which contains a
slash and then stop.

ncopa-desktop:~# find /sys -name uevent -exec grep -h MODALIAS= '{}' + 2>/dev/null | sort -u | grep -E 'pci|/'

As you see, there are slashes in the dmi module and since we sort, dmi
will always come before pci. So the disk controllers are never loaded
and disks never found.

I think we should revert the upstream commit for now.